Kelly Controller Error

Home Forums Support Kelly Controller Error

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    austinf
    Participant

Hello, we using a Kelly KLS72701-8080I controller with a Motenergy ME0201014201 Motor. We are getting a 4.4 error, which is a hall galvanometer error. We have double-checked all of our connections, but we are unable to get the motor to go into the auto angle configuration and the throttle does not move the motor. What could be causing the error and does that have anything to do with the motor not configuring properly.

maldonadoego
    Participant

Hall sensor not working on motor!

austinf
    Participant

It’s a brand new motor, so I guess it could be that, but I don’t know. Another odd thing is that it has the repeated 4 beep error, which from the manual suggests a hall error, but in the configurator it says current meter error. We have three car batteries in series for a total of ~36 volts as a power source.

maldonadoego
    Participant

You also can adjust the temp range in the program to be around or close to 36v ….. Check your settings

bertdelavega
    Participant

Try to check the ff:
    1. Hall calibrations settings. Check calculations.
    2. Controller to motor wirings. The wiring color codes of the two (motenetgy and Kelly) are different.

austinf
    Participant

Sorry, I was out of the lab over the weekend. Thanks for your responses.

1. We haven’t calculated anything for the hall sensors yet, we thought we would be able to run through the steps of the autoconfiguration and it would work. We are all pretty new to the electric motor space.
    2. We did double check these, because they were wrong at first, but a rep at Montenergy gave us the correct ones so they should be correct now.

I am not sure if the hall sensors are truly to blame. In the PC configuration tool, there is no hall sensor error showing up, but there is the ‘Current Meter Err’.

We thought this meant we weren’t getting enough current, since we had previously set the maximum current on the battery to 30 amps in software since we repeatedly were burning through some of the previous research team’s wiring. (We have replaced it with thicker gauge) We bumped it up to 40amps with the three 12V car batteries which finally made the motor start to calibrate, but then the 100amp fuse broke. Not what we were expecting.

It is entirely possible the controller is non-functional, or has some part that is broken. We are continuing on a project from a previous university which did not document much about the controller function.

At this point, I just want to see what the ‘Current Meter Err’ is and if it could be causing the controller to pull more current than the software says it allows. If it is an internal part which means the controller is bad, we are fully prepared to invest in a new controller that may be more suited for our motor.

austinf
    Participant

So after checking around and trying different solutions, we were able to get it to run the angle configuration and the motor is now working with the controller!

The process which seemed to fix the issue went as follows: We connected the controller to the power source, but disconnected the motor circuit. This caused the hall and low voltage errors to appear as expected, but the Current Meter Err stopped. We hit the “ReadZero” button, which seemed to possibly clear some of the hall angle presets. We restarted the controller with the motor attached and got no errors whatsoever for the first time. We then set up the controller to go into the identification angle configuration. The motor actually turned, and the configuration was successful. We restarted the motor and it is now working.

I don’t know if using the ReadZero is something obvious we should have known to do right away, but there was not documentation about it anywhere in the angle configuration guide. Thank you for your help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.